Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3929 in lilypond: ps2pdf produces ugly output

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3929 in lilypond: ps2pdf produces ugly output if a single glyph gets accessed with different glyph names
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:36:57 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 3929 by address@hidden: ps2pdf produces ugly output if a single glyph gets accessed with different glyph names

I think their analysis is wrong since it boils down to "don't use glyphshow, ever". They complain that we access the same glyph in Libertine as both /o and as /omicron, but it is the *font* rather than we which chooses which glyphs to map the distinctly named characters to.

Following the logic of the Ghostscript developers, one must not by name access any character that the font might choose to map to the same glyph for whatever reason.

By no way are "o" (Roman letter o) and "ο" (Greek letter omikron) represented by the same glyph in every font. What if a font chooses to use the same glyph for an apostrophe and a single quote? Must we refrain from accessing those different characters under their respective name?

How are we supposed to anticipate this implementation detail?