Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3907 in lilypond: Patch: Moves the Box class t

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3907 in lilypond: Patch: Moves the Box class to flower/ in a new class called FlowerBox. Wraps FlowerBox as Box smob in lily/
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:39:01 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 3907 by address@hidden: Patch: Moves the Box class to flower/ in a new class called FlowerBox. Wraps FlowerBox as Box smob in lily/

I think that creating an external spacing library that LilyPond links to is a healthy evolution for LilyPond.

Projects like ImageMagick and ffmpeg propose libraries that do certain key functions as well as tools that implement features of these libraries. I agree that forking flower is not a great idea. What I'd like to do is have a library, libflower, that provides certain classes and algorithms that are useful in musical spacing (springs, skylines, etc.). This could be a useful base for several projects. I am working on two projects that need this sort of library right now and the decision is to either fork parts of LilyPond and create a library or have this be part of LilyPond. I think LilyPond would benefit from this. It would be a shame to have simultaneous development of multiple spacing algorithms that more or less do the same thing.

With regards to memory management, it's easy to rewrite stuff so that it goes:

void xxx(Skyline *z)
{
 [lots of stuff filling (*z) with data]
}

That way, we are not returning pointers to objects created on the heap but rather manipulating objects created in outer scopes rather than copying an object in an inner scope to an outer scope.