Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3904 in lilypond: robots.txt: disallow old sta

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3904 in lilypond: robots.txt: disallow old stable and old development doc
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:54:46 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 3904 by address@hidden: robots.txt: disallow old stable and old development doc

There is a serious problem with Google search preferring old versions of the documentation to the newest version, but I think it's a bad idea to totally disable searching of old versions, even if you explicitly include the version number as a search keyword or search for a command that's since been renamed. Sometimes I want to search old documentation. Disallowing all user agents in robots.txt also makes the pages disappear retroactively from the Wayback Machine, which is clearly not the intention here.

I think the best approach would be to put the documentation for the current stable version under both /doc/${VERSION} and /doc/current, with /doc/current as the preferred prefix for most documentation links. That would allow the up-to-date documentation to build PageRank over time, instead of starting from scratch every time the version number is bumped. Eventually it would be consistently ranked over versioned urls.

It would also be nice if a prominent notice were displayed at the top of pages describing other versions, like the warning you get when viewing an old version of a Wikipedia article.