Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3876 in lilypond: G clef at 'smaller' sizes lo

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3876 in lilypond: G clef at 'smaller' sizes looks poor
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 15:00:46 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 3876 by address@hidden: G clef at 'smaller' sizes looks poor

On 27/02/14 08:16, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
For the sake of reference: The source of the problem seems to have
been identified:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-02/msg00238.html

So does this need a LilyPond Tracker

Yes, definitely.

or is this a bug (in fontforge?)?

It's basically a bug in fontforge, but we can't rely on a quick fix
since this is very unlikely.  Additionally, we rely on the last
*published* fontforge version, which was a released quite a long time
ago.  Meanwhile, fontforge has been very heavily modified.
Unfortunately, not all modifications are bug free; for example, I
can't build the feta fonts with current fontforge's current git
version due to a very fundamental bug, cf.

   https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues/1239

The solution to the clef problem is not too difficult, however: We
have to slightly modify the outlines of the clefs so that the
intersections are `simpler', allowing fontforge to handle the outline
correctly.  While reviewing Marc's patch I've only checked one size
(feta20), which was an oversight.

Marc, do you have time to work on that?

     Werner