[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3829 in lilypond: website: suggest latest stable a

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3829 in lilypond: website: suggest latest stable and remove the version from Linux distribution-specific links
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:32:19 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 3829 by address@hidden: website: suggest latest stable and remove the version from Linux distribution-specific links

As you can see in this email:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-01/msg01154.html

people might be confused by the lilypond versions shown in http://www.lilypond.org/unix.html (section Distribution-specific packages).
Quoting the user:

"You all suggested, as I was afraid you would, that instead of trying to
get 2.14.2 to do what I want, I should change to 2.18.0.  Considering
that http://www.lilypond.org/unix.html positively encourages us to use
the default version with distros such as Ubuntu (v2.14.2 in this case),
this is not what a new user might expect!"

I suggest some changes:

1. remove the versions from the links to distro packages, because it's hard to maintain (for example, the current debian stable package is 2.14.2, not 2.12.3).

2. suggest the latest stable more strongly. We don't offer a strong opinion on the dilemma "Generic Packages or Distribution-Specific Packages?". I think that we should, especially if you consider that installing the generic packages is so easy.

Remember that we often reply on the user mailing list "why don't you upgrade to the latest stable?" or on the bug list "this problem is solved in the latest stable".