Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3821 in lilypond: Patch: More consistent perfo

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3821 in lilypond: Patch: More consistent performance of breath marks.
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 18:31:15 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 3821 by address@hidden: Patch: More consistent performance of breath marks.

Human players often do perform these differently. They see the breath as taking an unspecified fraction of the last note, so while { c4~c8 \breathe } is consistently { c4~c16 r16 }, { c4. \breathe } might be as short as { c8 r4 }. This is a common interpretive question for winds — I often hear directions like “firsts, hold this note long to match the seconds”. Some players invent diacritics for this, but I don't think there are any widely understood ones; ties are the closest thing to a standard notation.

The example that motivated this patch was an attempt to synchronize this:

<< { c'4. \breathe }
   { c8 g c' \breathe } >>

A human would probably play the top note as c'8 or c'4, much shorter than the second voice, but if it's changed to c'4~c'8, they'd probably synchronize it. Currently there's no way to tell Lilypond this, and the unsynchronized ending sounds conspicuously wrong when proofhearing. Supporting ties makes synchronization possible, and also makes more realistic output for things like { c2 ~ c8 \breathe }.

Making breaths a constant length would make them too short after long notes, when humans take as much as a full beat of breath.

Ideally, Lilypond would automatically synchronize breaths across staves, by making all simultaneous breaths as long as the shortest one, but this is harder to implement (I think it would require something like a Breath_column?) and solves only synchronization, not realistic breath lengths after ties.