Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 621 in lilypond: Dynamics should avoid cross-s

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 621 in lilypond: Dynamics should avoid cross-staff BarLines (e.g. GrandStaff, PianoStaff etc)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 08:12:36 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-push Fixed_2_19_0

Comment #25 on issue 621 by address@hidden: Dynamics should avoid cross-staff BarLines (e.g. GrandStaff, PianoStaff etc)

I understand Keith's comment such that this patch does not preclude manual shifts for fixing the positioning if one leans towards the orthodox "human engravers don't anticipate the placement of dynamics when placing the notes" school which I am not convinced of and which precluded a more consistent approach (also affecting cases without span bars) like the one I use to be pushed previously.

Pushed to staging as
commit 9edf3715c2b2cca09785dcd015724ad3c29cba8a
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Dec 26 16:07:50 2013 +0100

    Issue 621: Dynamics should avoid cross-staff BarLines
    (e.g. GrandStaff, PianoStaff etc)

    Dynamics usually have extra-spacing-width set to an empty interval so
    that their placement does not cause other elements to shift.

    With span bars, however, the resulting overlap is a worse cure than
    the problem.  So this switches off the width-hiding setting of
    extra-spacing-width inside of staff groups using span bars by default.
    No extra space is allocated, so dynamics will clear the span bars only
    narrowly, a reasonable compromise.