Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3731 in lilypond: Patch: Adds outside-staff-in

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3731 in lilypond: Patch: Adds outside-staff-interface and outside-staff-axis-group-interface
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 08:54:00 +0000

Comment #9 on issue 3731 by address@hidden: Patch: Adds outside-staff-interface and outside-staff-axis-group-interface

A hackish python script on my patch gives me the following info:

3 grobs implement outside-staff-axis-group-interface
20 grobs implement axis-group-interface
...so 15% of all axis-group-interfaces need the properties from outside-staff-axis-group-interface
36 grobs implement outside-staff-interface
137 grobs implement grob-interface
...so 26% of all grobs need the properties from outside-staff-interface

I'm guessing the script is screwing up in a couple cases, but those are the general stats. I've done my best to give the interfaces to every grob that could possibly need them but I'm sure I've missed a few. Let's say that, after the dust has settled, we find a total of 50 grobs that need outside-staff-interface and 7 grobs that need outside-staff-axis-group-interface. This is still a minority of grobs, which leads me to believe that a separate interface is a good idea.

Out of the realm of statistics and into the realm of examples, here is a random sampling of grobs that would never need the outside-staff-interface: System, StemTremelo, VoiceFollower, VerticalAxisGroup, NonMusicalPaperColumn, MelodyItem, LaissezVibrerTieColumn, GridPoint, Dots, AmbitusLine, Accidental...

and here is a random sampling of axis-grou-interface implementing grobs that would never need the outside-staff-axis-group-interface: DynamicLineSpanner, UnaCordaPedalLineSpanner, Ambitus, NoteColumn, BreakAlignment...