Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3708 in lilypond: Patch: Change the default AN

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3708 in lilypond: Patch: Change the default ANTI_ALIAS_FACTOR for documentation builds to 1
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:22:00 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-countdown Patch-needs_work

Comment #7 on issue 3708 by address@hidden: Patch: Change the default ANTI_ALIAS_FACTOR for documentation builds to 1

"that you may want to consider" is quite the understatement. "The slurs in particular look considerably smoother with the anti-aliasing" is a proper observation since the slurs are a filled outline (and thus not antialiased in spite of -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 by current Ghostscript versions) rather than a stroked construct.

However, this also implies that we have _way_ to go before getting acceptable previews for LilyPond material together with acceptable print results.

It's not clear to me what the way forward is here. It will probably help if we can do direct Cairo rendering: in that case, we don't need to take into account what GhostScript does at low resolutions in order to choose our compromises.