Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3631 in lilypond: 2.17 does a worse job with v

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3631 in lilypond: 2.17 does a worse job with vertical spacing and/or the page layout than 2.16
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 05:28:53 +0000

Comment #28 on issue 3631 by address@hidden: 2.17 does a worse job with vertical spacing and/or the page layout than 2.16

If you run the example at the top of the issue, it compiles on less than 9 pages now, so that works. The patch restores old behavior that was inadvertently shut off.

I am not exactly sure why including the clef in the staff results in everything taking _less_ space and not _more_.

As for the interaction between BarNumber and Clef, I'm not sure what's going on.

Irrespective of any problems having to do with bar numbers (which could very well exist), I think that this patch is necessary to fix the erroneous beginning-of-line estimates.

Come to think of it, why are we still estimating beginnings of lines this way if we have pure skylines now? It seems that it would avoid a lot of extra code to just use pure skylines for vertical axis groups instead of building them using this beginning-of-line vs end-of-line system. Although I'm guessing this'd slow down LilyPond....