Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3631 in lilypond: 2.17 does a worse job with v

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3631 in lilypond: 2.17 does a worse job with vertical spacing and/or the page layout than 2.16
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:00:17 +0000

Comment #19 on issue 3631 by address@hidden: 2.17 does a worse job with vertical spacing and/or the page layout than 2.16

Quick summary:

1) The BarNumber side positions itself against the staff symbol.
2) In current master, the Y offset of the Staff Symbol with respect to the Y common grob, the System, is -2.05. This is from printing the variable yc in Side_position_interface::aligned_side to a logfile. This is half the length of the staff symbol, which makes sense. 3) In 2.14, the Y offset is -3.8. I have no clue where this number comes from: the height of the staff system is 4.10, so 3.8 seems arbitrary with respect to that.

I'm not sure yet how this factors into page breaking.

One problem I'm having in analyzing the issue is the fact that the music needs to be so long to show the result. Is there an example of similar spacing that can be achieved with just two systems?