[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3631 in lilypond: 2.17 does a worse job using skyl

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3631 in lilypond: 2.17 does a worse job using skylines for the page layout than 2.16
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:37:30 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Critical Regression

New issue 3631 by address@hidden: 2.17 does a worse job using skylines for the page layout than 2.16

If you take a look at the output of

\new Voice \repeat unfold 50
{ c,4 \repeat unfold 30 r4 c''''4 \repeat unfold 30 r4 }

then 2.16.2 does quite a good job doing the page layout while "interleaving" the notes which stick out.

Indeed, Page_layout_problem::append_system juggles with skylines already in 2.16.2.

In 2.16, we get reasonable spacing taking up 9 pages. In 2.17, in contrast, there is a lot of additional spacing without a good explanation. The page totals are 10. The line breaks are the same either way: 9 bars per line, with an inexplicable change to 8 bars per line after measure 720. Interestingly, this change to 8 bars per line happens synchronous with the last page break for 2.16, and in the middle of a page for 2.17.30. It would almost seem like 2.17 starts with some of the breaking decisions of 2.16, and then does something entirely different.

Since 2.16 did a _better_ job of integrating skylines into its pagebreak decisions, I am marking this as a regression. I don't see that we can release 2.18 while this problem has not been tracked down and dealt with.