Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3581 in lilypond: Patch: Add support for setti

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3581 in lilypond: Patch: Add support for setting MIDI pan position, and reverb and chorus levels
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 21:10:27 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 3581 by address@hidden: Patch: Add support for setting MIDI pan position, and reverb and chorus levels

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to rework the patch to make it better satisfy these suggestions (including those on the mailing list), but it'll probably take a few days before I have the time to look at this. (I'll also have to study the Contributor's guide to learn how to replace the proposed patch set with a new one.)

The decision to try to assign default values to the controllers if left unspecified was based on an apparent misinterpretation of the intention of the context property definitions in ly/performer-init.ly, where (before the patch) the Score_performer initialized the "instrumentName" property to the name of a MIDI instrument (which I assumed to represent a default, albeit ineffective, setting to use for the MIDI instrument; see the initial post in the discussion thread on the mailing list): that's why I thought it necessary to initialize also the new properties to some default values if no explicit values are given in the input file. (If the purpose of the default "instrumentName" in ly/performer-init.ly is not to specify a MIDI instrument to use if it's not set in the input file, then what _is_ its purpose in the definition of the Score_performer context?)

(I guess there is no single policy on [not] resetting unspecified properties that would keep all users safe from surprises when working with LilyPond-generated MIDIs: not resetting unspecified properties to default values could make some users wonder why a particular MIDI file, which does not make explicit changes to the setup of the MIDI device, will sound differently depending on the files played earlier on the same device, while some users will find the initialization to default values just as surprising – the opinion probably depends on the users' knowledge on MIDI.)