Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1772 in lilypond: Completion_rest_engraver fai

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1772 in lilypond: Completion_rest_engraver fails with fractional rests
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:39:09 +0000

Updates:
        Owner: address@hidden
        Labels: -Priority-Medium

Comment #4 on issue 1772 by address@hidden: Completion_rest_engraver fails with fractional rests

Regarding the original report: I don't think it is the job of any completion engraver to split up input with a scale factor into notes with different scale factors. That's a problem with more variables than information, so LilyPond can't pick a sensible solution. So don't use scale factors when you don't actually want to scale note values (like tuplets would do) but rather shift the onset of the next note around. Not when using completion engravers (and actually not when producing Midi, even though the results for notes will be worse than for rests).

Once we realize that nothing but producing notes/rests with the _same_ scale factor makes sense for a mechanically chosen solution (and that's what one would expect with \times as well), it is clear that the r1*6/4 case is not something that completion engravers can sensibly deal with. Write { r1 \skip 2 } if that's what you mean.

We don't want to employ a Diophantean equation engraver that picks out one of possibly several integral solutions from a linear equation equivalent to a line through a grid. So the current output is a visual approximation of how things are going wrong given an impossible task.

I lean towards considering issue 3560 valid and marking this issue here as invalid on Oct 2 without previous compelling arguments to the contrary.