Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1321 in lilypond: Enhancement: add partcombine

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1321 in lilypond: Enhancement: add partcombineUp and partcombineDown functions
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:49:56 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-review Patch-needs_work

Comment #18 on issue 1321 by address@hidden: Enhancement: add partcombineUp and partcombineDown functions

Huh.  The regtest diffs are tricky.

The first diff results from the old code stating:
/* Mimic all settings of voiceOne/voiceTwo for the two separate voices...*/
  /* FIXME: Is there any way to use the definition of \voiceOne/\voiceTwo
            directly??? */
  char const *syms[]
  =
  {
    "Stem",
    "DynamicLineSpanner",
    "Tie",
    "Dots",
    "Rest",
    "Slur",
    "TextScript",
    "Script",
    0
  };

and the new code relying on \voiceOne/\voiceTwo which have
(define direction-polyphonic-grobs
  '(AccidentalSuggestion
    DotColumn
    Dots
    Fingering
    LaissezVibrerTie
    LigatureBracket
    MultiMeasureRest
    PhrasingSlur
    RepeatTie
    Rest
    Script
    Slur
    Stem
    TextScript
    Tie
    TupletBracket
    TrillSpanner))
notably _not_ including DynamicLineSpanner. It's easy for the user now to add an override for DynamicLineSpanner if desired. Since the look is somewhat on the unusual side, I'd almost lean towards not doing this automatically.

As for the second regtest change, this is due to me using \voiceOne/\voiceTwo for \partcombine (while the old code used the equivalent of \voiceOne/\voiceFour which makes only limited sense to me so I'll stay off it for now), and \voiceOne/\voiceThree for \partcombineUp (matching the old code) and \voiceTwo/\voiceFour for \partcombineDown while the old code uses \voiceFour/\voiceTwo here.

The idea for the latter is probably to shift the inner voices. Since there is explicit code in the old partcombiner for swapping the choice of shifts, this would appear intentional, leading to the typical order \voiceOne/\voiceThree/\voiceFour/\voiceTwo from top to bottom in four-voice polyphony. Talk about intuitive. Maybe we should at some point of time at least swap the definitions of \voiceTwo and \voiceFour.

So I'll switch the voice order for \partcombineDown around.