Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3507 in lilypond: Harmonic notes should have c

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3507 in lilypond: Harmonic notes should have concave sides
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:02:59 +0000

Comment #14 on issue 3507 by address@hidden: Harmonic notes should have concave sides

Well, the concaveness is somewhat pronounced, in particular when compared with the examples Gould gives. At this degree, it is close to impossible to give a balanced, symmetric appearance where all sides appear equally curved. Part of the reason is the skewed fill-in. I think that the inner boundary lines should have proportionally less curvature based on their smaller distance to the center, and it should be hard to tell whether they are straight or still slightly curved (I think at the current point of time, they are straight and that makes the fill-in "bars" be slightly wonky).

I'd give the whole a bit less concavity: like kerning, it should just give a slightly more elegant overall effect without drawing attention to the reason. Yes, it is slightly frustrating to put effort into something which is barely discoverable.

But that's font design.  Anything that stands out is too much.