Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3518 in lilypond: Support temporary divisi sta

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3518 in lilypond: Support temporary divisi staves
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:05:19 +0000

Comment #11 on issue 3518 by address@hidden: Support temporary divisi staves

The hack did use explicit markers for getting and relinquishing divisi *staves*, and your interface might need something like that as well. We have two types of divisi (1) parts move separately but simply so one staff is fine, and (2) parts are complex enough that two staves are required.

I'll make a concrete example, and use it to give my thoughts on the interface.

Here is imagined input for some future Lilypond, based on the original input file at the top of this issue, but simplified to what I think is a minimal unambiguous specification of the desired output. I fabricated the image showing the corresponding desired output.

violins = \transpose c c' {
c4 d e f %% simple unison. If staves split this line, same music appears on both
    << %% single-staff divisi. If staves split, each staff shows one part
      \context Staff = "one" {\voiceOne g b d b | d' b g b}
      \context Staff = "two" {\voiceTwo g e g e | b g b g}

    << %% music that needs separate staves
      \context Staff = "one" {
        \oneVoice \separateStaff % force printing of separate staves
           <a f'> g q b
        \shareStaff } % allow divisi staves to rejoin, next linebreak
      \context Staff = "two" { a <e b e'> a q }

    c d e f \bar "|." }

\new DivisiGroup
% with no start brace or span bars;
% I can put this in a \new StaffGroup if I want them.
<<
  %% special name for the context that might output on multiple staves
  \new DivisibleStaff \with { instrumentName = "V1&2" }
    \violins

  %% The familiar syntax might reduce user confusion
  %% Hopefully the Staff can inherit its divisi-nature from DivisiGroup
  \new Staff = "one" \with { instrumentName = "V1" }
    { } %% hopefully the engraver can keep the context alive
  \new Staff = "two" \with { instrumentName = "V2" }
    { }
  \new RhythmicStaff = "V2 tapping soundbox" \with { instrumentName = "V2" }
    { } >>

Attachments:
        3518.png  15.3 KB