Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3518 in lilypond: Support temporary divisi sta

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3518 in lilypond: Support temporary divisi staves
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:13:00 +0000

Comment #10 on issue 3518 by address@hidden: Support temporary divisi staves

The outline in the comment above seems promising (assuming you meant "removed whenever the divisi staves survive"),

You don't want to know how often I replaced "do" with "don't" and "non-divisi" with "divisi" and "staff" with "staves" when writing that. Changed the comments again.

I think the original hack on the mailing list worked with explicit markers for getting and relinquishing divisi. The cost of typesetting a whole set of divisi staves that are going to be junked seems somewhat expensive.

My first idea was to use code akin to addQuote for recording the non-divisi material, and then cleaning any items-worth-living-for from the divisi-but-with-non-divisi-filled-in staves going on to final typesetting at time steps already covered by non-divisi material, arriving at items-worth-living-for suitable for the keep-non-divisi decision.

But making the addQuote mechanism work nicely for more than one context seems tricky. So I think a first version just working with a somewhat larger set of material to throw away, at least as a reference point, might be preferable.