Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3363 in lilypond: Scripts misplaced with cross

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3363 in lilypond: Scripts misplaced with cross-staff slurs
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:38:17 +0000

Comment #13 on issue 3363 by address@hidden: Scripts misplaced with cross-staff slurs

"A big problem we've been having is in defining terms. The staccato is surely not cross-staff, but it depends on cross-staff grobs."

The staccato has been marked 'cross-staff' for a long time by ly:script-interface::calc-cross-staff, and the patch Mike wrote for the related issue 3327 would mark the staccato 'cross-staff' for other reasons that seemed logical at the time. We were building consensus for a definition "cross-staff: true for objects whose placement relative to their parent Staff (or Lyrics, etc.) depends on the spacing of staves on the page."

The problem here seems to be that the pure-height of the stem with the staccato is miscalculated in stem.cc. It seems that the second stem's height should be calculated relative to the upper staff, but instead the third stem's height is calculated as if its note was on the upper staff. This problem does not seem to be due to the timing of iterators, but rather due to the order and way in which pure-height functions call each other during layout.

The various internal flags 'calc_beam' 'pure' 'cross_staff' are trying to organize the order of layout decisions, but it is not clear how. It seems to me that this staccato should recuse itself from influencing staff-spacing ("sorry, I'm cross-staff, I don't know what space I need just yet, I can give you my 'pure-height' as an estimate") but then when cross-staff items are being placed, fell free to trigger the final decision of the Stem and Beam.

Currently, the staccato asks for only the pure-height of the Stem, and that pure-height happens to be a spectacularly bad estimate.

Attachments:
        3363.png  7.5 KB