Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3363 in lilypond: Scripts misplaced with cross

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3363 in lilypond: Scripts misplaced with cross-staff slurs
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:02:30 +0000

Comment #12 on issue 3363 by address@hidden: Scripts misplaced with cross-staff slurs

Well, "defining terms" is not really useful if the underlying concepts don't match realities. We have pure/unpure as independent/dependent from linebreaking, and crossstaff as we-can't-really-decide from linebreaking. But something like a staccato dot could not care less about linebreaking: it depends on the material it references. We are not doing ourselves in expressing every dependency in terms of before/after linebreaking. In particular since there are things like linebreaking depending on accidentals, and accidentals can depend on linebreaking again (a tied note gets a repeat accidental only after a line break).

This won't help us for this issue, but it might make sense for things like staccato dots to inherit their cross-staff property from their x-parent (assuming that the actual note is marked as cross-staff). Do we really need to know this for staccato dots?