Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3487 in lilypond: Patch: Make several special

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3487 in lilypond: Patch: Make several special characters with or without backslash "non-special"
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:13:26 +0000

Comment #8 on issue 3487 by address@hidden: Patch: Make several special characters with or without backslash "non-special"

For casual reviewers: let me point out more explicitly that this patch series makes _two_ syntax changes that appear mostly unrelated to the patch itself (the relation is by technical necessity).

Those two changes are

a) that the shorthand for staccatissimo becomes -! instead of -| as currently. Taking aside the technical necessity because of | being freely definable including as a postevent, and thus not visible as a _character_ to the parser, I find that shorthand making a lot more sense than the previous one, in particular given that -. already is staccato. So I am pretty convinced that this change would be able to survive on its merits alone.

b) that \tempo 4. = 60 ~ 62 becomes \tempo 4. = 60 - 62 instead. That's not terribly fabulous, and I am particularly considering _not_ permitting - into REAL tokens at all. At the current point of time, writing \tempo 4. = 60-62 (namely without a space between - and 62) inside of a \midi block will likely cause trouble.

~ was actually a rather insane character here, and indeed, the whole \tempo syntax is nothing to be proud of.

On their own, those changes probably make some sort of sense in a low-priority way. But they are required to make this issue fly.

The value of this issue is mainly removing hardwired semantics and making it easier for people to experiment with extending and/or redefining various details of the syntax.