Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3105 in lilypond: In mensural-style the stem a

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3105 in lilypond: In mensural-style the stem and flag aren't well combined
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:25:42 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 3105 by address@hidden: In mensural-style the stem and flag aren't well combined

Hi,

thanks Werner + Phil for triggering me!

I agree that the region where the flag touches the tip of the stem so far looked ugly and that your work is definitely an improvement in this regard.

However, Petrucci's flags are not overall that much rounded. When I wrote the code, I was mainly relying on facsimiles of excerpts from Petrucci's works, printed in the (old) MGG. I do not have a really good example at hand at the moment; at least, MGG vol. 4, col. 1023-1024 ("Moro de doglia" / "Justiniana" in: "Frottole", Petrucci 1505) has a few 8th notes that may give you a vague impression. Most notably, there is some not-so-round corner half a note head height below the tip of the stem, just as it is currently implemented.

Please also note that Petrucci aligned the flags not solely with the stem, but also considered the position relative to the staff lines. That is, why the current implementation uses different flags for notes that are on a staff line, and notes that are between two staff lines. I do not fully remember, but this constraint might also explain why it is asymmetrical in how it works with up and down stems.

Hope that helps & best wishes,
Jürgen

P.S.: By the way, I noticed that in neumes notation, the implementation of the flexa shape is (or rather has been for quite a while) broken: On the right end, it seems to have zero height, while it should have the same height on the right end as on the left end. Maybe I should file a bug report?