Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2910 in lilypond: problem with 'outside-staff-

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2910 in lilypond: problem with 'outside-staff-padding
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:02:29 +0000

Updates:
        Owner: address@hidden

Comment #1 on issue 2910 by address@hidden: problem with 'outside-staff-padding

At the moment when two objects meet the 'outside-staff-padding for each of them is added. Formerly, only one pad is placed between objects, with thickness decided by the object _being_placed_ outside the earlier objects. The former method is used for other padding applications. It is not hard to restore the former behavior.

This forced me to review how the various paddings apply to objects placed outside the staff. The behavior that is documented and mostly depended upon by the defaults, is:

padding -- minimum distance from the outline of the object to the staff (not protruding notes, applied before note-spacing)

staff-padding -- minimum distance from the reference point of the object to the staff (broken, issue 3026)

outside-staff-padding -- minimum distance from the outline of the object to the outline of everything placed closer to the staff than this object (broken, issue 2910)

I think we want the documented behavior, which seems flexible and useful. The naming is not perfectly descriptive, but we can adjust that after straightening out the behavior.

Attachments:
        3026.png  21.8 KB
        3026.ly  707 bytes