Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3330 in lilypond: bracketify-stencil moves gro

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3330 in lilypond: bracketify-stencil moves grob's refpoint
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 08:42:08 +0000

Comment #68 on issue 3330 by address@hidden: bracketify-stencil moves grob's refpoint

Pixel comparisons turn up the intended changes. They also show several cases of \vspace used in the expectation of larger vertical spacing.

More serious are the changes I attributed to the footnote separator line: that theory does not seem to capture the main cause of the visual discrepancies. Instead, the footnote tests are the most visible tests containing full pages/books, namely material not set with raggedbottom. In this case, it appears like the bottom page material (like footers, final footnote etc) has moved consistently closer to the bottom of the page. Just a few points, and the results look better rather than worse to my eye, but the page layout is not a question of "better" or "worse" but rather one of being consistent with the specifications.

It is not clear to me yet whether the specifications of the layout are met better or worse after this change, whether the additional space influences the page break decisions and/or whether this additional change makes the page fill level match better or worse what the page breaker expected to produce.

I doubt we have ever verified things to work properly in that regard (in fact, several comments in the code suggest that the page breaking code sometimes leads to page fill conditions that should not occur). So I'd still think this should go on the next countdown, with the understanding that (like several times before) I'll not go forward with it when I happen to find some particular evidence that it would be a bad idea.