Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3336 in lilypond: Proper spacing with text and

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3336 in lilypond: Proper spacing with text and script stencils
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 02:01:56 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-review Patch-new

Comment #6 on issue 3336 by address@hidden: Proper spacing with text and script stencils

I can't think of a shorter explanation than this:
The fret-diagrams in question are set as centered TextScripts over the notes (as opposed to being in a FretBoards context). \textLengthOn reserves space for an infinite column as wide as the text, for note-spacing purposes.

\textLengthOn uses extents, not skylines, and this has created some difficulty: 1) If we use any horizontal-padding on the TextScript skylines, that padding is not counted in the note-spacing, so the TextScripts overlap a bit and are stacked vertically (issue 3032) 2) If we use zero horizontal-padding, we occasionally get stems in words like "Ja" above 3) If we use extents instead of skylines when \textLengthOn, people complain as they did on issue 3268 (comment 8 about fret boards).

We would like to integrate skylines better into the rest of the layout system, or at least have a variant of horizontal-padding that works on the interior only of the skylines, but I suggest we first set defaults to make the system we have usable.

\textLengthOn is most often used with a TextScript over every note, which runs the text together. The documentation example linked to issue 3032 added padding by hand. A word-space of padding is greater than the letter-space of horizontal-padding needed to keep stems out of words, so if we build one word-space into \textLengthOn we avoid problems with the current system. I put half of a 0.4-ss word-space on either side.

So in 'fret-diagrams-fingering.ly' the fretboard has moved half a word-space so that its infinitely-high column clears the barline, moving its parent note with it, and the next barline remains the standard spacing from that parent note.

We could put the entire word-space on the right side of the infinite column made by \textLengthOn, which has worked well for me in my own spacing of tempo marks. This is unsymmetric left-to-right, as is the spacing of notes with respect to barlines.

'multi-measure-rest-text.ly', when compiled alone, shows only the text moving away due to the horizontal-padding, and no change to spacing between systems. The regression test scripts include "lilypond-book-preamble.ly" which separates systems so their total heights clear, presumably to facilitate making separate output files for each system. All the regtests where system-system spacing is importante, have the scores enclosed in a \book {}, so I can do that for 'multi-measure-rest-text.ly'

  http://codereview.appspot.com/9210044

Attachments:
        textLengthOn_illustration.png  5.7 KB