Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (incons

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 10:47:11 +0000

Comment #64 on issue 2658 by address@hidden: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)

To make it easier for Janek and others to trash my work on this issue, I have now committed the following to staging (should pass without problems into master since it is not even touched by regtesting). We should really have an option for putting out a CropBox to our PDF files in order to cut down on image size here (both Ghostscript and pdftocairo can be told to optionally heed the CropBox when converting). Using commandline tools for semiautomatic cropping based on image content, in contrast, would be a bad idea since we could get different regions depending on the rasterization.

commit 4d996ed350b0a6bf1233ecde874e3e8cfb2b72ac
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Apr 20 12:29:31 2013 +0200

    Add additional options grdp to scripts/auxiliar/make-regtest-pngs.sh

    This is for checking bitmap production at different resolution, the
    output from using poppler and libcairo on LilyPond's PDF, and the
    output for typical print bitmaps generated from LilyPond's PDF.

And yes: with the current way of poppler/Cairo dealing with region filling/clipping, the stems get too thin because apparently clip regions are not including all pixels touched by the boundary (the PostScript/PDF imaging model). I suspect that we have few options other than stroking an entirely unclipped (smaller) rectangle across the stem length _again_, basically painting everything twice. This is abysmally stupid.