Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3307 in lilypond: Rest positions incorrect wit

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3307 in lilypond: Rest positions incorrect with non-standard line count
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:22:44 +0000

Comment #51 on issue 3307 by address@hidden: Rest positions incorrect with non-standard line count

Regarding #49: it may be instructive, but not relevant for this issue as it is not suitable for an automated choice. Anybody wanting to (re-)produce a score like this should use pitched rests in order to indicate his intention. And that's already perfectly feasible.

Regarding #47: "This sounds like consensus." seems a bit of a stretch. We are converging towards a solution.

Now Thomas is not the person requiring to override every single rest manually if he wants to change the style of their positioning. He'll be able to find a programmatic solution. But if there _are_ legitimate other styles (acknowledged by Gould) the question is whether we should not try to find a solution for overriding the defaults that does not require programming skills beyond that of the average typesetter, like a property containing extra directional shifts for duration logs.

For the current extra shift down of downward whole rests, this extra shift property would likely look like
`(((0 . ,DOWN) . -2))
and Thomas would likely just override it to '(). If we hardcode part of the positioning into such an extra property, the question becomes just _which_ part we want to put there. The defaults should lead to reasonable results without additional tampering, but if we allow such extra rules, the results of explicit tampering should be predictable without having to know in advance what the result would be without override.