Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (incons

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:28:21 +0000

Comment #30 on issue 2658 by address@hidden: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)

Ok, this is a serious proposal now. I've already seen that in Frescobaldi 2.0.8 even using the same library version as Evince does on my system leads to slightly more awful looking results than previously. It would appear that the code used by Frescobaldi does not take well to fill/clip rather than stroking. But frankly, the previous state already was appalling, and I have no idea why Frescobaldi manages to look so much worse when using the same PDF rendering library as Evince does.

Evince is definitely improved. Ghostscript's own rendition of its own PDF is also improved, though less than I'd like to see. The directly produced PNG files are quite nicer now, but the technique employed in the PostScript really depends on doing single stroke in connection with area clipping. Without similar techniques, one can't avoid overshooting sometimes by as much as two pixels.

Ending bar lines are a concern as well: if the stroke adjustment thins out the bar line, the staff lines might poke through with one pixel. It's a general problem that matching both outline geometry as well as thicknesses is not possible at the same time. It might make sense to give inner staff lines a bit less of length/curve diameter so that any boundary effects are restricted to the outer lines.