Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (incons

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:18:28 +0000

Comment #10 on issue 2658 by address@hidden: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)

Regarding comment #8: "this patch doesn't solve the original problem" appears not really accurate regarding the image. Frescobaldi and Okular are actually both rendering using Poppler, and Poppler is likely overcompensating from thick lines previously.

Now the problem with resolution dependent behavior is that we don't have much more than setstrokeadjust available from the PostScript->PDF side, and if the rounded ends are not _fully_ rounded ends, there is no single stroke command that will preserve line thickness left _and_ right_. So I don't see that anything but clip areas can be used here: if we draw the rounded ends separately, they'll get different stroke width compensation and will likely overshoot.

There is still something wrong in the current implementation: I see that, say, ledger lines stopped being rounded altogether: looks like the code does not work for horizontal lines right now.

But while that need to gets fixed, I don't see that we have better options available than what one already sees. Yes, some lines now get too flimsy in some resolutions in some viewers. But overall, there is less wrong with the output. In particular, Ghostscript does a quite more pleasing PNG rendition.