Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots on chord

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots on chord
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:08:28 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-review Patch-waiting

Comment #66 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too many dots on chord

Probably the correct interpretation of Gould (and probably what James had in mind) is: "If all the dots fit with just a little overhang, fine; but if some would overhang more than two staff-spaces, nobody will be counting them all so just print those that fit beside the chord."

Under this interpretation, the number of dots decreases at one point in the growing-chord example. A user can reduce the overhang limit so the behavior switches a bit earlier and puts just 4 dots on the 5-note cluster.

I thought it best to implement the limit in terms of height of the dot column, rather than distance from dot to note-head, so that the behavior doesn't switch as a chord walks up the scale and its top note alternates between on-line and in-space. We need examples of real music that uses these chords.
http://codereview.appspot.com/8266047/

Attachments:
        3179.png  8.0 KB