Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 709 in lilypond: Simultaneous simple expressio

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 709 in lilypond: Simultaneous simple expressions affected to a same Staff collide by default.
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:01:47 +0000

Updates:
        Owner: ---
        Labels: -Priority-Medium

Comment #3 on issue 709 by address@hidden: Simultaneous simple expressions affected to a same Staff collide by default.

The problem here is that the way implicit contexts are created from within parallel music leads to a confusing result: two separate voices with material intended to be combined. I don't quite agree with comment #1 since I consider

\new Staff { << { \voiceOne c'8 } { \voiceTwo d' } >> }

to be almost breathtakingly flippant in its assumption that its input will end up in two different voices.

Personally, I would consider it reasonable if << >> did not start an implicit voice of its own for every simultaneous part. However, given the dynamics of iteration and context creation, changing this behavior might be trickier than expected.

Also, one sideeffect would be that with
\new StaffGroup <<
  \context Staff { ... }
  \context Staff { ... }
  \context Staff { ... }

all material would end up in the same Staff. Though it probably already does (judging from issue 3290).

At any rate, the issue as reported is not valid. The original problem might be avoided with explicit voice contexts, and the whole topic of implicit voice creation might want revisiting in a broader context. This particular symptom can't be cured in isolation. See also issue 641 for a similar problem.