Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1296 in lilypond: Progerrors when using \laiss

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1296 in lilypond: Progerrors when using \laissezVibrer in a cross-staff context
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 06:33:17 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 1296 by address@hidden: Progerrors when using \laissezVibrer in a cross-staff context

I find that broadcasting my ignorance often helps.

It seems to me that when we space note-columns in separation-item.cc, we call Item::pure_height() on the LaissezVibrerTie to find what space to reserve.

This in turn calls Grob::internal_get_pure_property("Y-extent"), which should see that grob::always-Y-extent-from-stencil claims to provide a 'pure' function (thereby promising, "go ahead and use this function at any time, it doesn't depend on line breaking/spacing").

This should call Tie::print() which creates the stencil for the tie,
which depends on whether the tie is up or down,
which depends on the stem direction,
which depends on whether the beam was able to fit between staves, or needs to go below both,
which depends on vertical layout of the page,
which depends on line/page breaking,
which depends on the space required between note-columns.

I saw no opportunity for cross-staff to substitute an estimated extent for the tie, but it seems to do so, based on the outlines printed with
 \layout { \context { \Score
 \override PaperColumn #'stencil = #ly:separation-item::print
 }}   #(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines)