Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too few dots in chord (see c

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too few dots in chord (see comment #37)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 18:10:03 +0000

Comment #45 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too few dots in chord (see comment #37)

Usually the reader cannot tell if the dot-removal was done "per voice" or considering all voices together ... unless, for example, the middle C above had a double dot.

The quote from the textbook says "where a dot would need to be two (2) or more staff spaces away from the chord". If Gould uses LilyPond's definition of staff-space distance between lines, then the topmost dot is just 1.5 staff-spaces above the H, and the lowest dot is 1.5 staff-spaces below the C.

Maybe Gould means staff-steps when she says staff-spaces, in which case the dot for the C is too far away from the noted. Considering the case where the C has a double-dot, we would need to first teach LilyPond to keep the dots on short chords more tightly, before having her remove excess dots.

I, too, have been unable to find any examples from the literature that benefit from the removal of dots by original patch.