Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3239 in lilypond: Patch: rewrite Self_alignmen

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3239 in lilypond: Patch: rewrite Self_alignment_interface
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:05:05 +0000

Comment #45 on issue 3239 by address@hidden: Patch: rewrite Self_alignment_interface

David,
i fully agree that any patch that breaks make doc, including this one, needs work, and is unfit for committing into LilyPond. What i meant is that _at this stage of development_ i'm not surprised to see that this patch breaks the documentation.

Now, i never intend to push this patch in such state! The thing is, this patch changes many things, and some design choices are not yet decided upon, and some more changes will be added. This is a work in progress; i think it wouldn't make sense to try updating documentation with every version of the patch. For example, there might be some convert-ly rules necessary: i could write them now and apply on the documentation, but i'm pretty sure that during the discussion (expected to take ~2 weeks more at least) we'll change something and the convert-ly rules will have to be different. Rewriting and reapplying them with each and every version of the patch (i guess there will be a dozen versions at least) would be very inconvenient. I think it'd be better to update docs when the code itself is more or less finished.

So, this patch status is obvioulsy_needs_work_but_also_needs_review. I can use this label, but it's, uh, unwieldy...

Does this make things clearer?