Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3232 in lilypond: LilyPond should use strict p

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3232 in lilypond: LilyPond should use strict proportional spacing between note columns
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 16:52:16 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 3232 by address@hidden: LilyPond should use strict proportional spacing between note columns

I might understand now. When we put graphical objects in a column between regular note-columns, they affect the spacing. If these inserted columns contain no note-heads, LilyPond's note-spacing gives ugly spacing (especially when compressed).

\score { \relative c''' { g2  b | <<g2 {s4 s-| }>> b2 }
 \layout {line-width = 5.5\cm } }

I suppose desired behavior is to space the half-notes as if there were no |, and center the | between centers (not left edges) of the half-notes.

(Hairpins indicating a swell {s4\< s\> <>\!} are asymmetric for the additional reason that the change from < to > is aligned to the left edge of a note-column, but the decrescendo finishes at the right edge.)

Attachments:
        e.png  8.7 KB