[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3218 in lilypond: \column and \left-column don't a

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3218 in lilypond: \column and \left-column don't align
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 09:30:10 +0000

Owner: ----
CC: address@hidden

New issue 3218 by address@hidden: \column and \left-column don't align

\markup { \column { "" b c } \left-column { "" b c } }

aligns the first b with the second "" while the first "" is discarded.

This is partly an easter egg from old code (2008 or earlier): empty stencils are sometimes removed in the markup commands, sometimes not, without a really convincing pattern.

However, I would guess that "" at one point of time was a point-stencil rather than an empty stencil (at least, this would make sense to me), so this inconsistency probably was much less apparent. At any rate, it seems like a mistake to drop empty lines from columns, so "" better create a point-stencil rather than an empty stencil.

It would be good if someone could check this on 2.16 to figure out whether or not it was indeed the skyline code which made "" empty or whether we are dealing with an even older inconsistency.