Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots in chords

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots in chords
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 06:01:11 +0000

Comment #20 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too many dots in chords

Regarding comment #18: Thanks a lot! This helps, and I will fix the problems soon.

Regarding comment #19: My code doesn't affect dotted rests at all (there are still small bugs in my code which actually make the dots of some rests disappear, but this will go away in the next patch set). I'm talking about the case where a user arbitrarily changes `staff-position' for dots of note heads (using e.g. \tweak) to get some weird optical effects.

I fear that what you say in the last paragraph doesn't work. Following your advice, I had to compare the default value of `staff-position' with the actual value to `look for dots outside of the requested dot positions'. And exactly this is the problem: There is *no* way to get the default! I *could* assume that the default is the value zero (this is what dots::calc-staff-position returns for note heads), but this would essentially mean hard-coding something in the binary which is defined in the Scheme code. Not a good idea, I believe.

Am I missing something?