Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too much dots in chords

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too much dots in chords
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:21:55 +0000

Comment #9 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too much dots in chords

I have a fundamental problem: My fix should work for the default situation, but the user should still be able to override it. In particular, setting the `staff-position' property of the Dots grob to non-standard values makes a dot disappear, which is not optimal.

How is this handled in lilypond in general? This is, do this if the property is set, and do that it the property is not set. Normally, lilypond returns value 0.0 if a numeric property isn't set, but you can't decide whether this is a default value or the user has set it explicitly to 0.0...

I've looked up the source code but wasn't able to identify a spot with a similar issue.

A possible solution is to add a property, say, `chord-dots' which switches the new behaviour on and off (where `on' is the default).