Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 754 in lilypond: \transpose should not affect

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 754 in lilypond: \transpose should not affect \transposition
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 12:22:29 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Priority-Medium

Comment #7 on issue 754 by address@hidden: \transpose should not affect \transposition

I am actually looking at what else would need to be changed/converted. Like instrumentTransposition in instrument definitions. We have an example of transposing usage in Documentation/notation/vocal.itely that is a total crock and makes no sense. We have an example in Documentation/notation/staff.itely (contraBassoon, playing one octave higher than notation) and in input/regression/instrument-switch.ly (Bass clarinet playing d' for notated c') that are clearly bonkers. It would seem that reverting the sign of interpretation of instrumentTransposition (namely reverting
commit 1965ca6b70aaf2c04a25ace9ed3f1fb4e1222f5a
Author: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Dec 24 16:14:40 2006 +0100

    revert change of instrumentTransposition definition. Document why.

and dealing with the fallout) would do more to bring at least our documentation into line with physical realities than a convert-ly rule would.

All of this seems to be a crock rotten to the bone, so it is not clear even what behavior convert-ly rules should best assume as the "before" state: factual state, documented state, or sensible state. Wait, the latter is what we want to arrive at.