[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3136 in lilypond: lilypond-book - automatic line w

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3136 in lilypond: lilypond-book - automatic line width detection fails because of the included file
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:59:28 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Ugly

New issue 3136 by address@hidden: lilypond-book - automatic line width detection fails because of the included file

Reported by Stefan Thomas on user list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-01/msg00758.html

Dear community,
when I compile the following file with latex and lilypondbook, it looks quite strange.
There's is a break after every bar of the lilypond example.
I think it has to do with the input-command.
Here is the code of the latex-file:
\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[paper=a4paper,left=20mm,right=20mm,top=25mm,bottom=25mm]{geometry}
\input{./semester.tex}
\author{Myself}
\title{Examination \Semester }
\date{ \Datummontag }
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\begin{flushright}
Name, Vorname:
\end{flushright}
\textbf{First exercise:}
\begin{lilypond}
 \relative { c d e f g2 e  g 4 f e d e2 c }
\end{lilypond}
\end{document}

And this is the code of the file semester.tex

\newcommand{\Semester}{Wintersemester 2012/2013}
\newcommand{\Datummontag}{31.1.2012}

For compilation I use the following code:
#!/bin/bash
TEMP_DIR=temp
CURRENT_DIR=$(pwd)
lilypond-book --pdf \
              --include="$CURRENT_DIR"\
              --include=/home/stefan/partituren/lilyponds/vorlagen/\
              --output="$TEMP_DIR" \
              "$1".tex && \
(cd "$TEMP_DIR" && \
 pdflatex "$1".tex && \
 mv "$1".pdf ..) && \
rm -rf "$TEMP_DIR"

Explanation by Julien Rioux follows later on bug-lilypond:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-01/msg00159.html

Indeed, there is a bug here: the automatic line width detection fails because of the included file. This detection is done by copying the latex preamble to a temporary file in a temp dir, running latex on this file, and parsing some output about the line width from latex. When we compile from the temp dir, any file \input'ed or \include'd within the preamble should also be made available, otherwise latex will fail.