[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3103 in lilypond: Book title showing up on every s

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3103 in lilypond: Book title showing up on every score in a songbook
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:14:12 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 3103 by address@hidden: Book title showing up on every score in a songbook

Nicolas Sceaux responded to a query on lilypond-user here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-01/msg00540.html

and Trevor Daniels forwarded it to bug-lilypond:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-01/msg00102.html

Text of Nicholas's post follows:

Le 12 janv. 2013 à 11:10, Christopher R. Maden <address@hidden> a écrit :

I expect \bookpart{} to start a new page; and
if the bookpart has a title or any other header info, I expect that to
be printed at the top of that new page.

Christopher,

Indeed, \bookpart starts a new page.
In your example, the \book block immediately starts with a \bookpart
block: you explicitely ask that the first page is that of the bookpart.
So there is now place for the book block title to be printed.
if you add e.g. a markup before the first bookpart, then there will be
a page before the bookpart, and the book title will be printed.

\book {
  \header {
    title = "Book Title"
  }
  \markup { first book page }
  \bookpart {
    \header {
      title = "Book Part Title"
    }
    \markup { first bookpart page }
  }
}

Now, what may be more counter-intuitive, is that, as bookparts inherit
the book header block, if a bookpart does not define a title, then the
surrounding book title will be used.

\book {
  \header {
    title = "Book Title"
  }
  \markup { first book page }
  \bookpart {
    \header {
      title = "Book Part Title"
    }
    \markup { first bookpart page }
  }
  \bookpart {
    \markup { A second book part, inherits book title }
  }
}

(This as been discussed ages ago, and that's not a bug either, but a
feature… I'm not sure how well it is documented, though.)

What I'd recommend, when using bookparts, is to move the book title into
the first bookpart header block.  In the case where there is a title page,
a dedicated bookpart can be used.

Nicolas