Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3095 in lilypond: Patch: Create a \tuplet func

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3095 in lilypond: Patch: Create a \tuplet function to complement \times and tupletSpannerDuration
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:50:39 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 3095 by address@hidden: Patch: Create a \tuplet function to complement \times and tupletSpannerDuration

I would lean towards angling for the full monty, namely issue 3100, instead of the well-confined patch in this issue which switches to \tuplet more or less as a hidden option.

Issue 3100 will require followup work to make not just the documentation examples but also the documentation text match the changed interface.

I am not fully enthused with the optional second argument for tupletSpannerDuration. A separate \tupletDuration <duration> would be cleaner. However, it is quite likely that frequent changes between 1/16 and 1/8 tuplets would make that cumbersome. It is also somewhat unclean (though convenient) that the tuplet spanner duration is sticky beyond the \tuplet command itself. However, making it temporary (as in: restore the previous setting) is not really feasible since it is a plain context property, and those are not managed using a stack.

So in short: seems like the best we can do. Providing at least an optional \tupletDuration (or \tupletGrouping ?) might still make sense for some use cases where the alternative \tuplet 2/3 4. { } might be just too awkward.