Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffG

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:49:36 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-push Fixed_2_17_10

Comment #33 on issue 2990 by address@hidden: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes

Pushed to staging as
commit d40362adfc1c3b24f466b7570e58f92885751019
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Dec 23 15:46:45 2012 +0100

    Issue 2990: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes

    The problem is caused by multiple axis group engravers, and in
    particular nested VerticalAxisGroup grobs in connection with the
    skyline code.  An extensive fix catching any recursive grob definition
    will lead to quite more cryptic error messages rather than this
    hand-tailored fix for the special case of VerticalAxisGroup nesting.

    The solution chosen here is to complain when a VerticalAxisGroup is
    announced from a subordinate context and let the current group commit
    suicide.

For the general recursion of grob case, it would make sense to open another issue, or more: a general "throwing away grobs because of recursion" error will not really help the user figure out what is wrong. Even in this issue, I am not particularly confident that the message will be helpful enough for the typical cases where it may get triggered. I just did not come up with a better one. At least it is somewhat more specific.