Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2657 in lilypond: font kerning on Windows is b

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2657 in lilypond: font kerning on Windows is broken
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 20:32:54 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 2657 by address@hidden: font kerning on Windows is broken

I've done some more investigation into this. I'm assuming it's related to Issue 2656. Anyway, looking at the .ps output from Windows and Linux, we see, for example, this on a PS file from Windows:

1.8969 -4.8157 moveto /CenturySchL-Roma 11.59570312 output-scale div selectfont
1.7072 0.0000 0.0000 /D
0.8991 0.0000 0.0000 /I
1.4682 0.0000 0.0000 /L
1.5934 0.0000 0.0000 /A
1.5934 0.0000 0.0000 /V

The same output from Ubuntu is this:

1.8969 -4.8157 moveto /CenturySchL-Roma 11.59570312 output-scale div selectfont
1.7072 0.0000 0.0000 /D
0.8991 0.0000 0.0000 /I
1.4682 0.0000 0.0000 /L
1.5934 0.0000 0.0000 /A
1.3771 0.0000 0.0000 /V

In the Windows example, the widths of A and V are the same. On Ubuntu, V is narrower. The widths seem to be set in pango-font.cc, with this call:

pango_glyph_string_extents_range (pgs, i, i + 1, pa->font, &ink_sub_rect, &logical_sub_rect);

I added some debug code to this to print out PANGO_RBEARING (logical_sub_rect). On Ubuntu, I get this:

warning: 41984.000000
warning: 48128.000000
warning: 44032.000000
warning: 26624.000000
warning: 51200.000000

On Windows:

warning: 48128.000000
warning: 48128.000000
warning: 44032.000000
warning: 26624.000000
warning: 51200.000000

So it looks like pango_glyph_string_extents_range returns a kerned value of V for Ubuntu, but not for Windows. I was out of my depth before I looked into this, but I'm well out of it now. I assume the pango call is a call to the pango library, and this is returning different results on the 2 platforms. Does this seem correct, and should it be reported as a bug to Pango?