[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3080 in lilypond: NR 1.2.3 Upbeatsg confusing expl

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3080 in lilypond: NR 1.2.3 Upbeatsg confusing explanation of measurePosition
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:09:46 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 3080 by address@hidden: NR 1.2.3 Upbeatsg confusing explanation of measurePosition

Federico Bruni reported here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2012-12/msg00223.html

and delivered a doc enhancement request here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-01/msg00014.html

as follows:

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 10:20:38AM +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:

Thanks for the report, Federico, and to the others for their analysis.

Could you collate a well-formed doc enhancement request and post it?
Then I can create a tracker for the change.

Hi Colin,

no issue has been created so far.
I can try to formulate a doc enhancement request for what I was asking, not
for the discussion about the term "rational number", raised by Eluze.

This sentence:

The property measurePosition contains a rational number indicating how much
of the measure has passed at this point. Note that this is set to a
negative number by the \partial command: i.e., \partial 4 is internally
translated to -4, meaning “there is a quarter note left in the measure.”

The first sentence is clear when positive numbers are used, not when
negative numbers are used. In particular, it's not saying clearly what's
happening in the counting of bars. So I would say:

"""
The property measurePosition contains a rational number, which is usually
positive and indicates how much of the measure has passed at this point.
The \partial command sets it to a negative number: i.e., \partial 4 is
internally translated to #(ly:make-moment -1 4). The negative number has a
different meaning: it says that the current (first) bar will be
@emph{preceded} by a bar 0 (the partial bar) which lasts a quarter.
"""

Ugly description, I know, but you should get the point.
Thanks,
Federico