Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3057 in lilypond: missbehavior of \deadNotesOn

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3057 in lilypond: missbehavior of \deadNotesOn in the begining of LilyPond code
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 18:20:38 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 3057 by address@hidden: missbehavior of \deadNotesOn in the begining of LilyPond code

"Use an explicit Voice" is not a workaround. What happens here is that both \deadNotesOn as well as \deadNotesOff work in the current context via make-grob-property-override as well as make-grob-property-revert.

So the first \deadNotesOn happens in score context (where the staff settings override it) and the second \deadNotesOn happens in staff context (where the corresponding revert does not reach it). Now the problem with note style settings is that the default context where one would want them is not predetermined: one might want them at staff level, one might want them at voice/bottom level.

I am not sure I see a really nice way of playing this, though being able to put things like \deadNotesOn into a context mod (for staffs, for example) makes it a bit more tolerable to think about doing them as purely Bottom overrides (thus never at Staff level).