Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffG

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 08:51:59 +0000

Comment #27 on issue 2990 by address@hidden: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes

If you are talking on the level of "Grob can contain Grob arrays as properties", naturally recursive data structures are possible. In that case, the algorithms have to be able to deal with them. As far as I understand, however, we were talking about some hierarchical structure with a special role for "vertical axis groups". If we want to maintain a level of integrity here, properties containing grobs and/or grob arrays are internals and should only be accessed by proper accessors.

Access them in any other way, and all bets are off. I don't see that we have a reasonable description or definition of the structures making up vertical axis groups, and we don't have accessors for maintaining them. If validity checks need to be an inherent part of the operation, the data structures may not be designed independently from the performance characteristics of the validity checks.