Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffG

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:15:40 +0000

Comment #16 on issue 2990 by address@hidden: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes

Correct me if I am wrong, but it would appear that the code crashing on cyclical element lists is the skyline code. It is a simple matter of storing 'cycle in the elements field you are recursing through temporarily to avoid infinite recursion. We do this with grob dependencies elsewhere. Now the "elements" situation usually also corresponds to an axis parent group situation, and we don't do this sort of cycle-breaking when determining parents. Why don't we get parenting cycles but elements cycles? It would appear that we are doing something wrong here.

You are very eager to paste over the actual problem. Why? Why not figure out what is wrong here and do a proper fix making use of those parts of the data and relations we can (and do elsewhere) work with efficiently?

I really resent planless scattering of expensive bandaids everywhere. That results in an incoherent mess of patched-together half-working code nobody will be able to maintain since it is totally unclear what code is actually effective and what code has its effects overriden elsewhere.