Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffG

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:27:00 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 2990 by address@hidden: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes

Got this figured out, but there is no good solution yet...

The issues is that \RemoveEmptyStaff needs to be called for the \Staff context, as the \Staff context has both the Axis_group_engraver and the Hari_kiri_engraver. Calling it on the StaffGroup context will remove an Axis_group_engraver that does not exist and proceed to add a Hari_kiri_engraver which will create VerticalAxisGroups on the StaffGroup level. This will cause VerticalAxisGroups to add each other as each others' elements lists.

There is currently no way to stop users from including, for example, a Clef_engraver in the \Score context, meaning that anything can be put anywhere, even if it doesn't make sense.

The best we can do for now is just weed out this recursive behavior, but as for finding a way to hint to people not to do this sorta thing w/ engravers, I dunno what do do (aside from Documentation).