Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2971 in lilypond: Clarify the limitation on fo

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2971 in lilypond: Clarify the limitation on footnotes as articulations
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:57:14 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 2971 by address@hidden: Clarify the limitation on footnotes as articulations

I don't understand the issue. Footnotes don't work as articulations on _anything_. In 2.15.??, you could use footnotes as articulations on some items, an interface that was both costly in performance as well as inconsistent with other uses of footnotes. This has been removed. While there still can occur
-\footnote ...
in the source, this will only work when followed by an articulation to be footnoted, namely we don't get a footnote as an articulation in this case, but rather a footnoted articulation. The footnote just acts as a tweak.

So I really can't guess what the issue is supposed to be about. It may be that it is invalid in its assumptions, in which case we should at least think how we can better clarify the documentation causing these assumptions.

Can you give examples of what you were thinking of?